Wednesday, November 26, 2008

day off

I do not know if I am interfering with matters which are not supposed to be my concern. I just feel that I am obliged to let him know what his rights are. I would like to help him fight for his right if he cannot, or do not want to. I had to personally send his supervisor an SMS reminding her that Barry should not be given any sanction for not rendering overtime last week.

For the past few months, Barry had been rendering rest day overtime at work because everyone is asked to do so. Do I need to keep my mouth shut and not speak at all regarding this? I know I am not directly affected by what has been happening, but I am definitely affected.

Business dictionary. com defines overtime as work performed by an employee or worker in excess of a basic workday (typically 8 hours a day, 5 days a week) Which means, there's no way that being unable to render overtime will result to being tagged on AWOL. Absence without leave means that you were absent without notice or permission.. Absence, as defined by Merriam-Webster Dictionary is the state of being absent. Nonetheless, you cannot be absent when you're not scheduled to go to work.

How can you be absent when you don't report for overtime? The company may claim that those days that they require their agents to render overtime are pre-plotted. They may claim that it's legal to ask the employees to render overtime on certain situations. However, those reasons are not acceptable for them to say that an employee was on AWOL for not reporting for his rest day OT. No matter what they say, I just can't buy the idea that there's a company like this who force their employees to render overtime and threaten to make administrative action towards the employee if he/she will not adhere.

For one, an occasional overtime is acceptable. If an employee wants to render overtime and the company calls for it, fine as well. But then, it doesn't mean that the company can ask everyone to render overtime like it is all ready part of the schedule and you are not given a chance to say no. There's no such thing as compulsory overtime.

If you were in his shoes, will you allow the company to dictate when you should be rendering overtime and when not to? Will you allow your company to take away your supposed rest day because the company needs you?

Other people may not understand why I react this way. I may be overreacting in their opinion, but I don't really care. All I know is that I want him to rest on his rest day, and not worry about work. Its' not called a day off for nothing, right?

No comments: