Thursday, January 8, 2009

the year that was

The year 2008 had just ended. I had the opportunity to take time and ponder about what happened for the past year.

At the start of January, I started working for Acquire Asia Pacific. This was the third call center I had worked for. The following day, it was my spouse's birthday. I don't remember the exact reason why, but we were not in good terms on that day. I did not greet him. I bought him a cake as per my son's request but had it given to my son.

On the last week of the month, my best friend Vinz got married with her then boyfriend Gabby. It was a lovely occasion which I was happy to witness because I've seen how much they love each other and what they've been through.

Came February, the second month of the year. Aside from the fact that it is the month of love and for lovers, I do not recall anything special on the month. Or I guess, it's worth mentioning that on Valentine's day itself, Barry was supposed to pick me up from work but had to apply for a new job. He got home so late that night with the news that he got hired.

March. It was on the 8th that my son Boris turned four. On this day, my cousin got married in their place in Bataan and we decided to be there and celebrated together with our relatives. When we got home late in the afternoon, we bought a cake as Boris' wish. Apparently, we had a celebration the day before. I cooked some food and had it brought in the day care center where my son went to because it was the day of their graduation also. It was good to note that at his early age, he brought us a medal as the most creative child in their class.

On the last week of the month, we had a family get together from the Ereno side in Laguna. It was an overnight summer outing wherein we really had fun.


April. On the 5th day, I celebrated my 26th birthday at home. My cousins, brothers, and I had a drinking session. Thanks to my cousin Say, because I really did not have any budget for the day. She took care of the drinks. Two days after, it's my mom's birthday. I just bought food for us at home because I wasn't able to prepare anything for us.

May. It was one of the unforgettable months of the year. It was the first day of the month when my father celebrated his 51st birthday, first as a barangay kagawad. He had a lot of visitors but we were able to manage.

Around the first to the second week of the month, my spouse and I had to go through a lot. We fought a lot. We had to separate ways. (or house for that matter) Then, we decided to work things out and give our relationship another try.

It was also on this month that my stay at work started to be rocky. I had to resign on the third week of the month even though I did not have a new job yet. I decided that it was the best thing to do to prevent any more conflict.

On the last week of May, my younger brother celebrated his 23rd birthday. It was a hard drinking session as usual and since I don't have a job at that moment, I indulged. The day after, we heard a shocking news. My husband's cousin died. She happened to be one of Barry's closest relatives. It was during this time that we had to comfort each other for that loss.

Came June, I had one of the best moments of the year. I found out that I was pregnant on the third week of the month. I came to a realization that the baby was conceived in May, making that month really an unforgettable one. I had to stop trying to look for a new job because I am always sickly when pregnant.

July. I had to kill time everyday by surfing the net. Aside from my friendster and multiply, I had to have a new online web space for my pregnancy blog. I was also busy reading stuffs regarding pregnancy, as if it's my first time again.

August. It was on this month that my spouse and I had a lot of misunderstandings. We were arguing a lot. I do not know if it was because of my pregnancy, but I had always had reasons to nag him.

On the 17th of August, we had one of our worst arguments. I had to hurt him physically on that day because I was so angry. I felt a pelvic pain minutes after, as if I had dysmenorrhea. Around four am the following day, I had blood clots on my underwear. Barry had to bring me to the hospital. Luckily, our baby was fine. I was advised to be on bed rest and was prescribed medicines to keep the baby. I was also advised not to be stressed because it affected my pregnancy. I had my ultrasound a few days after and was teary-eyed when I heard that my baby had a good heartbeat.

Because of what happened, I found my self asking for strength from God. I had to ask Him to save our baby and to be with us always. I read the bible a lot on the following days. I sent sms to everyone on my phone book asking for prayers. I felt so lucky I have my family with me, because they all showed their love and support to me.

On the 31st of the month, I woke up in the morning with blood on my underwear and pelvic pain again. I was brought to my doctor's clinic and was admitted immediately. The following day, I felt labor pains and felt that I don't have the situation in my hands any more. My doctor said that there was just a small chance that our baby will be saved. I told him that I was ready for whatever will happen. (although I was still hoping then)

At 5:30 am the next day, my baby came out. I had a miscarriage. I felt like I died when it happened. It was the 2nd of September all ready. I felt more sad to know that my baby was a girl. I named her Beatrice (which means bringer of joy) Enna. (reversed Anne) She may not have been with us physically, but she still brought joy to the family, specially me.

The next few days was hard for me. I spent hours searching the internet for medical explanations on what I've been through. I also cried on countless nights, thinking what could have happened had she been still alive in my womb. I did not know how to cope and finally move on.

Came October, my spouse and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. I planned an out-of-town trip for us. Apparently, we were not able to go for a trip. Instead, we just had a lunch in one of our favorite restaurants. It was also on this month that I started surfing the net for a new job.

Then on the 1st of November, it was the first All Souls' Day after my miscarriage. I did not go to the cemetery as usual because I intended to stay at home. I went in our backyard which is a vacant lot where we had our daughter buried. I prayed for her and also asked for her to be back in our lives in some other time in the future.

My first day at my current job was on the 3rd of the month. It was on this day that I started another chapter of my career. Hopefully, I will not see my self resigning and leaving this job that I learned to love.

Came the last month of the year, December was indeed a busy month. It was on this month that we first got the news that our new house (through pag-ibig loan) is ready for occupancy. However, we are not yet ready to move in because of some things that need to be done first. We are now obliged to pay the monthly amortization.

We had our Christmas shopping, parties, and endless gift giving. Christmas became special because it was the first time that my son was doing a countdown for that day. He was fully aware of the occasion as I explained to him that it is the birth of Christ. He was so excited giving gifts, as well as receiving them. He really enjoyed Christmas day.

On the 27th, Barry, Boris, and I went to Tagaytay. We had fun eating, bonding, and strolling in the place. It wasn't an overnight get away which was what I originally wanted, but it was enough for us to look forward to another trip.

Came the 31st of the month. It was such a good way to end 2008 and start 2009. I invited our relatives from my father side for a get together. We spent the New Year celebration together. We ate and drank a lot, chatted the whole night, and played parlor games. There were smiles in everyone's faces.

I bid goodbye to 2008 with hope that 2009 will be a better year for all of us. I am also hoping that it would not take long for us to see our new baby that God will be giving us. I am optimistic that no matter what happens, our family will have a blessed year. I hope that our country will be blessed as a whole.


No comments: