Tuesday, April 28, 2009

lessons learned the hard way

Basketball has been my all time favorite sport since I was a kid. I've always thought that the passion my family and I have for the sport is something that adds to the bond that ties us. So it did, once again...

Yesterday, my brothers played their second game at our brgy league. I was able to watch the last few minutes that they were playing. My brother's girlfriend was a bit frustrated at how things were going since my brothers were at the brink of losing at that time. She was teasing the camp of the opponent because of that. I felt the need to join the teasing since I've always known that its also some thing that adds excitement to the game.

The game ended with my brothers' team as the losing team. I realized that the game was over and we can't change the result of the game, so I just went on teasing the other camp. Little did I know that the teasing would hurt one of the players and his wife so bad, that it would result to serious physical injuries.

I did not see how things exactly went on, but I'm sure that my youngest brother and my older brother's girlfriend both got hurt because they tried to protect me. I feel a little hurt physically, but that is because there were a lot of hands that held me to pull me away from the opponent. However, my brother and my brother's girlfriend both got seriously injured in defense of me. What's worse is that, one of those responsible for my sister-in-law's injuries was one of the players himself, who happens to be a man.

Had I known that things will turn out that way, I could have kept my mouth shut. Nonetheless, I can't change what had happened. What I can only do is learn from this. And yes, those lessons were hardly learned. It's not a good idea to add to the heat of the game by teasing the other camp. Its not a good idea to trust yourself that you will not start a fight, because other people may, which would mean that you would have to end the fight in one way or another. Violence against women can put a man in jail for eight years, if proven, according to one of the policemen.

The best lesson learned for me is that, whatever differences we sometimes have in our family, we always stand up for each other in times of need. It had been proven once again that I'm lucky that our family share the same passion for basketball. I'm lucky that I'm part of my family.

Now even though the whole problem is not yet resolved, I know that this will be over. In one way or another, those who committed mistakes will learn from their mistakes. That includes them who resulted to violence just because of a petty basketball game. They have to pay the price of their actions, sooner or later...


--

No comments: