Tuesday, April 28, 2009

proud mom 2

When I was a kid, I remember my mother having to scold me because she used to have a hard time teaching me how to read and write. Not that I was a slow learner, but I felt that I was too young to bother learning at five. I thought that I should have been busy playing with my playmates at that time, considering that you will be in grade one at the age of seven then. Nonetheless, I did not have any choice but listen to my mom because she was dead serious in making sure that before I go to school, I'm all ready literate. Well, it did pay off, because I was well prepared for school when I first had my first classmates and teachers. I was among those few who did not have to go through the crying process the first time their parents are leaving them at school.

Now that I'm a mother to a five-year-old kid, I feel lucky that my son is very eager to learn. At the age of 2 1/2, he started showing interest in learning. He was asking me if he can go to school then. I felt that it was too early so I declined, but had to promise him I'd allow him to go to school the following school year. When he was 3 years and 3 months old, I enrolled Boris in a daycare center. My goal then was for him to be able to socialize with kids his age. That is because I seldom allow him to play with kids in the neighborhood beyond our control.

My son showed fear in being left alone with strangers at the first three days. What I did then told him I'd stay with him but slowly leave whenever he was not looking. I was then explaining to him that it was a safe place so I had to leave him since he was the one who wanted to go to school. Fortunately, my son listens to what his mom says. In time, he was used to the daily routine of school. At that time up until the following year in daycare, I never forced my son to do his home works or to attend school. He brought home a medal for being the most creative student in his first year in the daycare center, and later on the most outstanding student just this March.

I felt so proud to see my son having his second medal in school. More than that, I am very proud that my son is not only smart, but very obedient as well. He is also showing great interest in learning. There's no chance that my mom or I will force him to study. When we say that its time for his daily school time, he gladly obey. He welcomes new knowledge and is determined to learn. Now at the age of five, he knows how to read and write, can add and subtract small numbers, can read numbers up to thousands, can surf the internet and install games, and can read time from the analog clock. He can also speak and understand a few English words. He is not some kind of kid who was born gifted like the Promil kids we see on TV, but he definitely loves to learn. He's simply amazing.

My son is not just smart and loves to learn. He's also a very sweet child. He never fails to say that he loves all of us in the family. He shares what he has with everyone. He has a friend now who is always in our house every single day, who he treats like his brother. He sometimes gets to fight with him like usual kids do, but he never did anything overboard. It is fine with him that his playmate is like a son to us and does call me mommy or my brothers tito, and my mom lola, and everyone in the family of his own. My son was never jealous of his playmate, he treats him like his own brother.

Not every parent can have such a lovely kid as my son is. I do hope that he will always be a good child, and will grow up a very nice person. Nonetheless, whatever will happen in the future, there's one thing for certain. My son will always be a lovely person for me and I will make sure that I will raise him the best possible way. As my mom had said once, the only way I could pay her for all the love and support that she and our father gave us is by giving more to our own kids. I do hope that I'm serving my main purpose in life now, aside from being a Christian, which is being a mother and wife.



No comments: